The History

The existence of the palace is documented in the 17th century as a rural estate, divided in a residential part and in a rural part. The first cartographic documents testifying the presence of the building in the road date back to the following century.


                                                


A squire from Motovun, Andrea Tom(m)asini, was the first attested owner of the estate. He came from a citadel in the heart of Istria, magnificently standing on a hill still today, and arrived in Villa del Conte after marrying an heiress from Camposampiero. The historical period is the one between the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th, when the Venetian Republic was breathing its last breath as it had just been ceded to Austria by Napoleon. Tommasini’s fortune turned, too: he died prematurely, leaving his estate to his three daughters and his wife, who soon remarried. Due to legal disputes, the villa was soon acquired by the Zara family, the richest in the area, and with Paolo it even succeeded in purchasing the 15th century Villa Dolfin, not far away. During this time, architectural transformation of the estate begins, sometimes with changes of structural features. They increase the difficulty of determining the exact period of each passage, due to the inconsistency of the documents. What matters though, is that the modifications which led to the current architectural layout, enhanced by restorations, have enriched the estate with frescoes, pilasters, decorations and terrazzo paving.

         

Thus the building acquired dimensions and proportions of neoclassical spirit, despite the different structure, shown by the rear of the building on the road and the front on the garden and the rural area. Paolo, famous member of the Zara family, was the father, among many, of Leonardo, father of Cavalier Giulio;

                                                      
                                                                     Zara family in 1914 

and from his widow, in January 1937 Doctor Pietro Riccardo Todesco, the first district doctor in Villa del Conte, purchased the estate. In here his wife Caterina Pellizzari gave birth to ten children, the last of which is Ernesto, the current owner.

                      

He is given credit for the important recent restoration, without which the estate would have undertaken a path of decline, like a good part of the Italian artistic heritage. He succeeded in basing an economic initiative in a context of history, culture, recovery of values and memories from the past.

 
<

 
Home